Foods to Calm an Upset Stomach
When the stomach flu hits, running to the store for medicine can be impossible. Fortunately, there are many common foods that can also help relieve an upset stomach. There are also many resources available online that can help victims of the flu to find relief without leaving the house.
The following remedies have been used for generations to relieve symptoms of an upset stomach:
- B.R.A.T. Diet
The BRAT diet consists of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. It is used to relieve an upset stomach, mainly diarrhea, because it consists of bland, easy to digest materials that are non-irritating to the stomach and intestines. Applesauce and bananas also contain pectin, which can help relieve constipation.
Ginger is also a natural remedy which has been used for centuries for its ability to relieve nausea and intestinal discomfort. Ginger can be taken many different ways, including powder form, tincture, capsule, lozenge, and tea.
Other Beneficial Foods
In addition to the B.R.A.T diet and ginger, yogurt has been shown to have positive effects on the intestines as it contains active cultures and probiotics which have proven to be beneficial to the overall health of the digestive tract. It is important to choose a bland yogurt with no added flavors or sugars, which can further irritate the stomach.
Sweet potatoes and mint are both helpful in alleviating gas and bloating. It is recommended that sweet potatoes be cooked and eaten with little or no seasoning, so as to not irritate an already upset stomach. Mint can be consumed in a warm tea or as a lozenge.
While mint tea is ideal, many herbal teas are good for the body while sick. If the body is dehydrated, any illness can worsen, especially a stomach virus. Drinking herbal teas and other non-sugary juices and fluids will help the body to re-hydrate and get back to itself sooner than later.
Drinks that help relieve upset stomach include:
- Herbal teas
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ginger ale
- Yogurt drinks
Sometimes tried and true non-pharmaceutical remedies are all the body needs to feel better. Better yet, the cure may be already in the pantry.
Top 5 Routes for "Foods to Calm an Upset Stomach"
- Eat This, Not That! This website provides helpful hints and articles about everyday foods and remedies, along with advice on becoming healthier through eating habits.
- Good Housekeeping Good Housekeeping magazine has been around for years. The website is about just that- keeping a home: cooking, cleaning, crafting, etc. this article quotes registered dieticians regarding ingredients in processed foods and other issues.
- LiveStrong This website is fitness and health based. The Livestrong website in general is geared toward being and living a healthier lifestyle, so it is easy to find links to other helpful recipes and articles within this link which may be helpful.
- Shape Shape.com is mainly a fitness magazine and website. There are additional tips in this article for recipes after illness, which are very helpful for those who want to get back into exercising as soon as they feel better.
- Health This article contains a video and quotes from doctors about different foods referenced in the article which is very helpful.
What is a Route?
A route is a gateway to learning. Routes.com's mission is to go beyond search results by curating summaries and top "routes" for today's most popular subjects. Learn More
Suggest a Route
Are we missing a subject you think should be given a route? Suggest a new route. Learn More
Become a routes.com contributor. Submit your route today! Learn More